Thursday, June 23, 2005



Every year, the Kent & Sussex Courier are audited by the ABC for their circulation figures. Coincidentally, around this time, they run their 'Baby of the Year' competition. First prize is a bronze casting of the toddler's foot. Mmmm. Nice.

Page after page of ickle babies are printed and a form is included for people to vote for the most precious cherub.

You must buy a copy of the Courier to vote and there have been stories of parents buying dozens and dozens of issues to ensure their little darling wins. Funny that - just around the time the Courier are submitting their circulation figures...

Anyway, as I, in my humbly ways, consider that the beautiful toddlers are being exploited merely to bump up circulation figures, I have decided to Photoshop a 'designer baby' for inclusion. His name is Juanzo (pronounced 'hwahn zo') And here the diminutive sweetheart is.



Unfortunately, having created the creature, a small problem arose. Any entries had to be photographed by the official cameraman in the shopping precinct over a period of three days.

It was time to call the newspaper.

I phoned and told them that we were on holiday during the dates and my wife would be terribly upset if Juanzo's head was not printed. You see, Juanzo suffers from Wolf's Syndrome, a rare condition in which fur and whiskers grow - eventually obscuring the baby's smile.

The woman was very kind and understanding. She whispered that, as a one off, she would allow Juanzo's picture to be emailed. Just a head and shoulders shot please - no problem. The torso and cabbage were simply hacked off.



She received the picture that very afternoon then emailed back to say thanks and good luck. Which was nice of her.

*

Cut to Friday 24th June 2005.

Off I went to the shop, change a-clinking in my pocket, all manner of thoughts flying through my mind - 'Will Juanzo be printed?' being the primary one.

I bought a copy of the Courier and marched home. On the front cover was a huge banner, proudly announcing the Baby of the Year competition. As I arrived home, I opened the newspaper.



Aah yes. This will be the section I require.

I leafed through page after page after page of babies - the Courier's successful audit will be assured.




Alas, I could not find Juanzo.

Then I remembered that the cherubs are all classified by age group: 0-9 months, 10-18 months and 19-36 months. Now how old was the little bastard again? Damnit.

Oh yes, I remember, he was about 14 months. I scanned for the page.


Hmmm. All the babies were listed in first name alphabetical order...let's see...Jake, Jessica, Jordan, Joshua...Katie? Where's my fucking baby!?

No...wait...


...who's that cheeky little chappy nestled incorrectly (as also could be said for his life) under 'E'?





Yeeeeees! That's my boy!


*


Now, dear reader I prostrate myself and ask for your assistance. If you live in or around the Tunbridge Wells area, please spare a moment to purchase a copy of the Courier and plop your vote for number 267. The deadline is Friday July 15th.

You can order a copy of the Courier here.

If Juanzo wins, the first prize of bronze feet will be an interesting one to overcome. It has been suggested that I nip to the butchers and send a pig's trotter in the post - remember, 'Wolf's syndrome' could have many side effects.

My chum Ed has also suggested a poster campaign which I shall plop on this site once it gets underway.

18 Comments:

Blogger jan zuppinger said...

glorious!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Erik said...

hahahaha!

Go Juanzo!

7:13 AM  
Blogger budda said...

I can see this game spreading to other papers next! Genius!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

If that was my local paper, I'd buy a good for copies and vote for Juanzo.

But dammit, it's not my local paper!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Toaster said...

Awwww ... what a cute mangled baby! Us U.S. folks give you our best in the form of dirty diapers ... GO!

Baby puke battle towel ... is GO!

Let's fighting love!

12:55 PM  
Blogger bertykat said...

Awwww we love Juanzo

Go baby, go!!!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

A stunning idea. I hope you win. B3ta.com seem to like your idea as well (that's where I got the link from - newsletter)

Al the best.

Me

5:15 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

what an adorable baby! go Juanzo!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Toonhead said...

That is hilarious. It is an achievement to get the little bugger's pic posted in the paper.

Juanzo has my voted, if I did not live in the US

9:32 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Excellent!

4:20 AM  
Blogger HaLo-iS said...

Links to pics are all dead :( show us ya kid & I'll vote for sure

4:37 AM  
Blogger Iain Overton said...

If this is a marketing ploy to get more people to buy the local paper, it is genius.

If this is just a laugh, it is still very amusing.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Pickle Litsell said...

Similar Photoshop fun can be had at Dove's 'Campaign for Real Beauty" - Online Gallery of real women.

www.campaignforrealbeauty.co.uk

'Cept some were of my work mate. Till they got removed. ha ha....

7:03 AM  
Blogger defekto said...

Go Juanzo!!!

8:35 AM  
Blogger G* said...

So that's what happened to the gene pool after I left TW! Bless - I'm sure he's got a lovely personality...

8:52 AM  
Blogger James White said...

Hilarious! :)

4:21 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

Different, interesting.. but I cannot help. Good luck "juanzo"..!

1:38 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Results still not in. Keep checking as this Friday could be the big day for the cheeky little scamp Juanzo.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home